home pics archive about
3:46 AM, May 1, 2003 toot this
5/1/2003 4:46 AM
For some reason, tonight has been a particularly difficult night at work. I wrote that sentence just after a break for a nap, and I always have a hard time returning from naps to work. I wonder if I'm more sleepy because of the 40-minute run I had earlier tonight. The whole running and losing weight thing sounds great, and is very exciting, for me. I just hope I can stick with it, so I can see some improvement.

11:24 PM, May 4, 2003 toot this
5/5/2003 12:24 PM
We went to the Tour de Fat this weekend, and had a very nice time. I also came out with a rudimentary comments interface for bahua.com. It is absolutely a work in progress, but as it is now, it seems to be pretty dang stable. I have put it into production on my lard page, under the weekly status pages. Brian, in an attempt to put a medical finger on some problems he's been having, has been prescribed a generous dose of laxative, and if this all keeps up, breathing in this apartment will go from difficult to impossible. For this reason, I am quite looking forward to getting back to work tonight.

12:01 AM, May 6, 2003 toot this
5/6/2003 1:01 AM
Just saw this on slashdot a few days ago. If you're using anything but Internet Explorer on Windows, click here. If you are using IE in Windows, enjoy your crash. If you manage to load the page in another browser, have a look at the html in it. 'input type crash' is all it needs.

1:18 AM, May 7, 2003 toot this
5/7/2003 2:18 AM
America needs real beer. Beer like this, this, this, this, this, this, or this. America definitely does not need any more high-gravity, pasteurized, industrially-produced, low quality "beer." It's hardly beer, and the rotten, horrible commiters of this crime against beer-drinkers need to stop, and America needs to stop them. Support regional beer production. Support traditional brewing methods, whose purpose is better-tasting beer, not cheaply-produced beer.

Life is too short to be wasting your beer-drinking time on beer that tastes bad at any temperature.

12:27 AM, May 8, 2003 toot this
5/8/2003 1:27 AM
The air conditioning got turned on today! I closed all the windows and cranked the AC about as high as it would go, and felt the pure ecstacy of cool air blowing over my face. Brian seems to be looking hard at getting out of town, and while I don't and won't discourage him in any way, it would make things tough for me. I really like the big apartment, and I'm afraid that if he left, I wouldn't be able to afford it anymore. I just ran some numbers, just now, and it comes pretty close. Sigh. I wonder how hard it would be to find a roommate.

10:04 PM, May 8, 2003 toot this
5/8/2003 11:04 PM
I had a bit of a fright tonight, on my way to work. Well, first off, I got pulled over last night, because of my expired out-of-state license plates. It took me an additional month to raise $1600 to pay the sales tax on the new car, and that becomes possible with tonight's paycheck, so, all along, I had planned on resolving the situation in the morning. Notwithstanding, the state trooper cited me for not having a valid registration tag.

This in mind, I took city streets to work tonight, which are not as heavily patrolled by law enforcement officers, and definitely not by state troopers, who I would guess might have an eye out for me and my expired invalid tags. My route, once I left Kansas City, was MO-350, all the way down to Lee's Summit, as shown below:

I drove southeast on 350 along my normal route, and had no trouble of any kind until I reached the light at Noland Road. In my new car, I like to take off from lights and stop signs very quickly, and reach a point about 5-10 mph above the posted limit, when I will stop accelerating. Just east of Noland Road, the speed limit on 350 goes up to 55 mph. Naturally, I like to go about 65-70 mph at this part, because only about a half-mile later, the limit goes up again, to 65.

Just before this second speed limit increase, the road scales a rather hefty hill, and makes two dangerously sharp turns. Also, it was wet outside. It wasn't raining, but it had been raining all day. One thing I love about my new car is that with all-wheel drive and excellent suspension, it is made to handle poor driving conditions. For this reason, I like driving aggressively in the wet stuff. I took off from the light at Noland Road(with no one in front of me), into the new higher speed limit, toward the turns. WRXes love to turn. Unfortunately, there are lots of kids in the Kansas City area that love to drive dangerously, in cars that they shouldn't. Next to me at the light was one of these people.

As I was saying, I took off from the light, when it turned green, and headed toward the turns. The person in the left lane blared their engine to keep up, with the intention to pass me. I wasn't racing him. I was going the speed that I enjoy going in my new car. If I had been racing him, I would have gone much faster, but I'm not retarded, so I didn't race him. I entered the first turn at about 67 mph, and pulled through it just fine. My rear wheels didn't even start breaking out. The motorist to my left was about a car length behind my car when I went into the turn, and naturally had a little difficulty maintaining a comparable speed to get through it. When I came out of the first turn, he had fallen back about a hundred feet, and I could see him in my rearview mirror, as he came out of the turn. What followed is depicted in stomach-churning detail below:

He came out, and after straightening out, I could see his car begin to swerve slowly, then quickly, until his swerves were so dramatic that his car turned ninety degrees, and ran off the road into the woods. I repeated the words, "I have never seen that happen before," over and over to myself, and drove the remaining three miles to work with my jaw in my lap. When I got to work, people's first question was invariably, "Well, did you stop?" I cocked my head, and said something like, "Oh." it honestly didn't occur to me to offer any help.

7:52 PM, May 10, 2003 toot this
5/10/2003 8:52 PM
Brian and I found a new bar over the weekend. A nice place with reasonable drink prices, within walking distance, and with more women than I'd ever know what to do with. The Velvet Dog is a rock/cajun/trendy type bar. It's only about four blocks away, in a direction I used to be rather afraid to walk: north. My fears were unfounded, because the walk is not only easy, but very short. Much shorter than I thought. I guess this is the kind of feeling one gets when they start running regularly. It's a half mile away, and it had never previously occurred to me to walk to it. Brian and I went to Boulevard on Saturday, for a tour, and followed that with another visit to the Velvet Dog. We watched A Mighty Wind afterwards, and enjoyed it thoroughly, even though the projector bulb died at least three times, during relatively pivotal parts of the movie. As usual, we spent Sunday just relaxing.

4:13 AM, May 16, 2003 toot this
5/16/2003 5:13 AM
Work was pretty light this week. I can't believe they hired so many people. Work was pretty light when we only had four people on our shift. Now we have 9, and it appears that we have a few moles placed here by management. Management will get a big surprise from their moles: there are too many people.

The running continues well, as evidenced by the lard page. I have almost gotten to the point that I enjoy the running. I know that I find it refreshing, and not painful, and I definitely do look forward to runs now. But here's the thing: I still can tolerate nights when I don't run, like weekends. Like tomorrow night.

Tomorrow is the kcgeek third anniversary barbecue. There will be lots of beer, brats, and geeky wireless internet access. While the wireless internet access sounds cool, I think I will lay off.

I shaved tonight. Picture here. The hanging extra chin doesn't seem quite as pronounced. I will continue to run.

4:31 AM, May 20, 2003 toot this
5/20/2003 5:31 AM
We had a great weekend. Rather, we had a great Saturday. The rest was fine, but the Saturday was literally brimming with happenings and goings-on. I got off work at the usual time on Friday, and went to get a haircut and a couple hours' sleep. I was awakened by a violently ringing and vibrating phone, about 45 minutes before the time that Joel and Susie and I had allocated to see the Matrix. We saw it, I loved it, I went back to bed for a few more hours.

I forsook running on Friday night for another exercise: going and getting a buritto and a sixpack. Gomer's had New Belgium's Trippel on sale, so I helped myself, and got dizzy, just in time for Brian to get home from work. We played games until 5 AM, when we both fell heavily asleep.

We attended the 3rd anniversary barbecue in Raytown(shown below), drank tasty beer, and moved right along to a tour at Boulevard and dinner at Taqueria Mexico, nearby. Brian and I came home, and napped for a few hours before going to the Plaza to see the Matrix again. That got out at 1 AM and again, we fell heavily asleep.

We spent Sunday just basically being lazy, and I managed to stay up until about 7 AM, making it very easy for me to stay up tonight at work, without feeling sleepy at all. I have two more weeks of running and goofing around Kansas City before we head for Peoria.

7:47 PM, May 27, 2003 toot this
5/27/2003 8:47 PM
I had a long, uneventful four-day weekend. I never did quite get my sleeping schedule to a reasonable level, and hence, other than Saturday, when Brian and I did a bunch of errands and went to Worlds of Fun together, Brian and I spoke very little to each other. Whenever we saw each other, we were basically either playing a game that the other couldn't play, or in opposite directions to or from bed. I regret not getting my sleep right this weekend, because I missed an opportunity for a great time with my brother. Next weekend, we're going to Peoria, which should be fun, provided I get the "awake during the day" thing down.

3:17 AM, May 28, 2003 toot this
5/28/2003 4:17 AM
I resurrected another one! See the latest pictures page for more images from my unfathomably cool life. Highlights include fireworks, agriculture, and Renae's feet. Do enjoy, won't you?

3:30 AM, May 28, 2003 toot this
5/28/2003 4:30 AM
Just to clear something up, the two photosets I have just placed on the website in the last couple of days are not the two newest. They are sets that I thought I had lost, but managed to locate in dark corners of some of my less-used computers. Now, there should be pictures of everything I have taken pictures of, since the hard drive crash of December 2000 that took out the first few months of pictures I took, since first getting a digital camera for my 22nd birthday.

In other news, my new monitor and hard drive came today. I have only had time to try the monitor, which I find to be very bright, and very sharp. I will try the new hard drive tomorrow, when I reinstall my operating system.

9:34 AM, May 28, 2003 toot this
5/28/2003 10:34 AM
New pics page! I rescued the ski trip pictures from obscurity, and placed them into public obscurity. Check them out here.

subscribe: posts
validate: html css
login: not logged in
@2002-2024, John Kelly