OFFICIAL - New KCI Terminal

Transportation topics in KC
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: We are getting a new airport!!!

Post by shinatoo »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:31 pm
So essentially all in all were getting nothing any os us really want from the infrastructure bill? Just "repairs" right. Not talking about just the airport, I mean the whole city
I would imagine that's true for the whole state and the main reason MDOT isn't really interested in funding any of the "new" stuff we want to do. We have been talking about rebuilding I-70 since the 80's, and I-44 since the 90's, and almost nothing has been done.

I guess the positive spin would be if we can get caught up on maintenance then maybe we can start talking about doing things that improve our lives. Also, it's a huge cash influx into our state that will help our economy.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:01 pm
shinatoo wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:41 am
Will the toilets be auto flush?
This reminds me of Loars demands of stall doors swinging out.
Just my favorite Sprint Center call back. :D
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:02 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:31 pm
So essentially all in all were getting nothing any os us really want from the infrastructure bill? Just "repairs" right. Not talking about just the airport, I mean the whole city
City has no funds to go an get a transit grant. Could use existing funds but Dave will tell you that’s a no. Some formula funds will come here
Except we already produced funds to build the new Buck O'Neil bridge and got a shitty design. Can't we get some funds to keep the current bridge and turn it into something useful and nice? Seems the least they could do.

Sani
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Sani »

normalthings wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:39 am
Anthony_Hugo98 wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:55 am
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:17 pm
What else can we do with the airport funds though? Is an APM to the rental car a good idea?
Frees up the busses to be used as circulators for economy parking, so lowers overall operation costs, and since it would be from a central terminal, it would be the most efficient option. I’m for it that’s for sure
APM only built if it can replace all buses (ie get rid of current econo lots).
I noticed Lot A has been repaved and Lot C is now closed, presumably because it's next on the list. Much of Lot B is fenced off with high weeds growing out of cracks in the pavement. I guess any APM project is far enough out that it's not wasteful to maintain and update the existing economy lots, though I wonder how they will work with the new terminal -- just have buses for A, B and C? Dynamic opening/closing of the lots based on demand? (I almost missed my flight Friday because I underestimated how full the buses would be and how long they would take to show up at the stops.)

We could go the Tampa route and build an economy garage off Paris Street just south of the Rental Car Center, and then run the APM back and forth between the three stations. It might be cool if we could run it up to the Marriott as well, but that's probably a bit much to ask.

WoodDraw
Penntower
Penntower

Post by WoodDraw »

Moving the economy lot is the long-term solution. Again, afaik, the money just doesn't exist right now on the local level.

Have to wait for some fees to open up in a couple years.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Lot A is closer than C and we weren't using A anymore. I think that's the only thing behind the move.

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

I wonder, if KCI was at Birmingham Bottoms or Richards, if we would have built fixed rail transit to it.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:20 pm
I wonder, if KCI was at Birmingham Bottoms or Richards, if we would have built fixed rail transit to it.
Ohare is 16.6 miles from the loop compared to 17.2 miles from downtown to KCI.
The blue line didn't reach the airport until 1984.

One major difference, Chicago built towards the airport so the line could serve more than the airport.

If the airport had been built in Kansas 17 miles away (think where 435 and 35 meet) I bet rail would have been a much more serious topic in the 1970s and 80s as Overland Park started to reach it and we would be riding the train to College Blvd.

The pairing of placing the airport in the middle of nowhere and having no plan to take advantage of that to counter KS plans was a huge failure of KC in the 1970s and 80s. A similar office park of towers and huge parking lots would be denser than what is being built today.

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

Didn’t they (KC) want to build north to the airport but it just didn’t pan out? Such is referenced in some of the transit studies during the age.

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

That was the expectation. There was a slew of development projects proposed when the airport was being built that never panned out. Enough to fill pages of "unbuilt Kansas City."

herrfrank
New York Life
New York Life

Post by herrfrank »

^Mayor Wheeler fully admits this (he is still around as is every KC mayor since the 1970s lolololol. I saw Wheeler in Westport in 2020).

The problem is that the southwestern direction of growth was already well underway by the 1960s. Lenexa and southern OP were basically finalized for growth in the 1960s as I-435 was completed. There wasn't enough demand remaining in the metro at the time to cultivate another growth spurt northward. Tiffany Springs and Briarcliff happened in the 1980s, and Zona Rosa more recently. But the dense development of this metro has always been moving south by southwest (I would argue since the 1920s).

Airports often end up in the "wrong" place. Look at San Diego and its Miramar issues. Or Denver. Yet some metro areas hit home runs with airport locations (Chicago, Baltimore, Boston -- now that it has the Big Dig tunnels to get there).

AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by AlkaliAxel »

So are we getting infrastructure funds for the airport and if so what would they be used for?

WoodDraw
Penntower
Penntower

Post by WoodDraw »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:48 am
So are we getting infrastructure funds for the airport and if so what would they be used for?
Nothing has been passed yet, let alone distributed.

We're also getting a whole brand new terminal! Be excited about that.

KC has very little local matching funds available. We'll get whatever they want to pay for.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:48 am
What funds are you referring to? There's a whole bunch of different sources of infrastructure funds from local, state and federal

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:32 pm
Looks like google maps has an update for KCI.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.298551, ... a=!3m1!1e3
I was looking at the new terminal this morning. I am wondering if the inner concourse will have gates on both the east and west sides (like the outer concourse will)? Not much room for jets to maneuver if there are gates on the south east end of the inner concourse with Terminal B still intact. That would be a pretty narrow passage. It appears from the picture from the KCI website that at least the north side of the inner concourse will have east facing gates.

https://www.buildkci.com/

shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Highlander wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:57 pm
I was looking at the new terminal this morning. I am wondering if the inner concourse will have gates on both the east and west sides (like the outer concourse will)? Not much room for jets to maneuver if there are gates on the south east end of the inner concourse with Terminal B still intact. That would be a pretty narrow passage. It appears from the picture from the KCI website that at least the north side of the inner concourse will have east facing gates.

https://www.buildkci.com/
The graphic at the top of https://www.buildkci.com/future-kci/ suggests there will be four gates in the southeast wing of the four wings with 8 gates in the northeast wing. If you look at the satellite image on Google maps you'll notice there's a lot of HVAC and other mechanical stuff on the east side of the southeast wing and I think most of that stuff is not on the roof. I imagine any future expansion will be a teardown of current Terminal B and extending that southeast wing to add a couple more gates in line with the (seemingly) planned 4 and then a wrap around like you see on the other 3 ends. It would be real easy to add 6-8 gates just right there once you utilize the end of the building like the other 3 ends - which is pretty close to all KC might ever need at least for this terminal.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think the NE wing is where the planned extra gates were going to be.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:22 pm
I think the NE wing is where the planned extra gates were going to be.
If you step outside of security in the new terminal the expansion would be on the closest wing to your left. It might be a few pages back but there's a link to the plans that show the expansion included.

That's the SE wing.

Then I picture a no-gate section to go around the garage and then gates start back up again in the next expansion. They could even put a second security area for staff to enter the terminal from that garage at that point since it was pointed out the B garage is the future new staff parking area

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Highlander wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:57 pm
https://www.buildkci.com/wp-content/upl ... educed.pdf

This will help, it was linked on page 46.

The first map shows what's being built. A few pages down has the future expansion

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Thanks. I had misremembered where the extension was going.