Politics

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm
grovester wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 pm
Janet Yellen is unimpressed with your anecdotes.

"For instance, she noted the bulk of job creation took place in the leisure and hospitality industry, which accounted for some 331,000 workers last month. But Yellen suggested that if sweetened jobless aid were to blame for the lack of job growth, the leisure and hospitality sector – where wages are typically low, and the relative financial benefit to collecting unemployment benefits high – would not have seen its payroll expand so vigorously."
Simple explanation. While the numbers in the hospitality and leisure job category added the most types of jobs, Janet is obviously out of touch with that sector, or the real world.

She has no idea about the real wages considering how tips are handled.

I was waiting for someone to use the word “anecdotal”. Like someone sitting in DC. They never get down in the trenches somehow know everything.
Ooh very simple indeed, your personal experiences are obviously more important. Where did you study economics again?
Such a bitch. Learn how to disagree would you. My degree is harder to get and more useful than an economics degree. I'm sick of listening to politicians say the reason we have the most available jobs ever in this countries history and can't fill them is because of child care and people being scared to work because of the covid. They won't admit that much of this nations people are lazy bastards who would much rather suck off the governments tits than work for it. It's why some of those people will work their entire lives in low paying jobs. They also don't want to admit it because many of them supported the extra unemployment extension despite some experts saying it would lead to worker shortages. And do we think people who are polled are going to admit they'd rather sit at home and collect unemployment, even if they could make slightly more working?

Saw on the news that the PNL districts has over 100 openings they can't fill at the moment, but sure, it's because people are afraid of getting covid at work.

I do like how some companies are being forced into raising wages, I think continue to see that some industries can actually afford to pay $15/hr and not have a major negative impact that's passed onto the consumer. Grocery and Fast Food specifically.

Riverite
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 884
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Re: Politics

Post by Riverite »

DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am
Riverite wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:06 pm


Simple explanation. While the numbers in the hospitality and leisure job category added the most types of jobs, Janet is obviously out of touch with that sector, or the real world.

She has no idea about the real wages considering how tips are handled.

I was waiting for someone to use the word “anecdotal”. Like someone sitting in DC. They never get down in the trenches somehow know everything.
Ooh very simple indeed, your personal experiences are obviously more important. Where did you study economics again?
Such a bitch. Learn how to disagree would you. My degree is harder to get and more useful than an economics degree. I'm sick of listening to politicians say the reason we have the most available jobs ever in this countries history and can't fill them is because of child care and people being scared to work because of the covid. They won't admit that much of this nations people are lazy bastards who would much rather suck off the governments tits than work for it. It's why some of those people will work their entire lives in low paying jobs. They also don't want to admit it because many of them supported the extra unemployment extension despite some experts saying it would lead to worker shortages. And do we think people who are polled are going to admit they'd rather sit at home and collect unemployment, even if they could make slightly more working?

Saw on the news that the PNL districts has over 100 openings they can't fill at the moment, but sure, it's because people are afraid of getting covid at work.

I do like how some companies are being forced into raising wages, I think continue to see that some industries can actually afford to pay $15/hr and not have a major negative impact that's passed onto the consumer. Grocery and Fast Food specifically.
Wow you really showed me! Your nameless degree is definitely better than someone who studied economics and became the Secretary of Treasury. It’s such a worthless degree they only make double the annual average. Obviously your illustrious experiences could never be touched by all of the academic research in the world.
No one could possibly be wary of getting sick in a country with some of the highest medical costs in the world in the middle of a pandemic.

User avatar
grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 4226
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: KC Metro

Re: Politics

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am

Saw on the news that the PNL districts has over 100 openings they can't fill at the moment, but sure, it's because people are afraid of getting covid at work.
Actually, they are afraid of getting STDs.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

Riverite wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:01 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am
Riverite wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 pm


Ooh very simple indeed, your personal experiences are obviously more important. Where did you study economics again?
Such a bitch. Learn how to disagree would you. My degree is harder to get and more useful than an economics degree. I'm sick of listening to politicians say the reason we have the most available jobs ever in this countries history and can't fill them is because of child care and people being scared to work because of the covid. They won't admit that much of this nations people are lazy bastards who would much rather suck off the governments tits than work for it. It's why some of those people will work their entire lives in low paying jobs. They also don't want to admit it because many of them supported the extra unemployment extension despite some experts saying it would lead to worker shortages. And do we think people who are polled are going to admit they'd rather sit at home and collect unemployment, even if they could make slightly more working?

Saw on the news that the PNL districts has over 100 openings they can't fill at the moment, but sure, it's because people are afraid of getting covid at work.

I do like how some companies are being forced into raising wages, I think continue to see that some industries can actually afford to pay $15/hr and not have a major negative impact that's passed onto the consumer. Grocery and Fast Food specifically.
Wow you really showed me! Your nameless degree is definitely better than someone who studied economics and became the Secretary of Treasury. It’s such a worthless degree they only make double the annual average. Obviously your illustrious experiences could never be touched by all of the academic research in the world.
No one could possibly be wary of getting sick in a country with some of the highest medical costs in the world in the middle of a pandemic.
I like how we can’t offer up what we see in the real world and have our own opinions now without a degree in the topic. I clearly said, “that’s just my own experience” with my original comment. I didn’t imply I know more than her. Janet makes $220,000 a year, I’m doing better then her at half her age. But people don’t worship me like you do her, so she has that going for her.

At this point, everyone has access to a free vaccine. Afraid to get Covid isn’t an excuse.

EDIT: I'm sure Janet has far more money and wealth than I do, so you can skip past that part.
Last edited by DColeKC on Wed May 12, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

grovester wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:01 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am

Saw on the news that the PNL districts has over 100 openings they can't fill at the moment, but sure, it's because people are afraid of getting covid at work.
Actually, they are afraid of getting STDs.
Hilarious. The old everyone in the service industry has STD's stereotype. Don't let the fact that you're having a flair up anger you.

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

Riverite wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:01 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am
Riverite wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 8:10 pm


Ooh very simple indeed, your personal experiences are obviously more important. Where did you study economics again?
Such a bitch. Learn how to disagree would you. My degree is harder to get and more useful than an economics degree. I'm sick of listening to politicians say the reason we have the most available jobs ever in this countries history and can't fill them is because of child care and people being scared to work because of the covid. They won't admit that much of this nations people are lazy bastards who would much rather suck off the governments tits than work for it. It's why some of those people will work their entire lives in low paying jobs. They also don't want to admit it because many of them supported the extra unemployment extension despite some experts saying it would lead to worker shortages. And do we think people who are polled are going to admit they'd rather sit at home and collect unemployment, even if they could make slightly more working?

Saw on the news that the PNL districts has over 100 openings they can't fill at the moment, but sure, it's because people are afraid of getting covid at work.

I do like how some companies are being forced into raising wages, I think continue to see that some industries can actually afford to pay $15/hr and not have a major negative impact that's passed onto the consumer. Grocery and Fast Food specifically.
Wow you really showed me! Your nameless degree is definitely better than someone who studied economics and became the Secretary of Treasury. It’s such a worthless degree they only make double the annual average. Obviously your illustrious experiences could never be touched by all of the academic research in the world.
No one could possibly be wary of getting sick in a country with some of the highest medical costs in the world in the middle of a pandemic.
I believe DColeKC studied under Dr. Dunning and Professor Kruger

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 pm
Riverite wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:01 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:47 am


Such a bitch. Learn how to disagree would you. My degree is harder to get and more useful than an economics degree. I'm sick of listening to politicians say the reason we have the most available jobs ever in this countries history and can't fill them is because of child care and people being scared to work because of the covid. They won't admit that much of this nations people are lazy bastards who would much rather suck off the governments tits than work for it. It's why some of those people will work their entire lives in low paying jobs. They also don't want to admit it because many of them supported the extra unemployment extension despite some experts saying it would lead to worker shortages. And do we think people who are polled are going to admit they'd rather sit at home and collect unemployment, even if they could make slightly more working?

Saw on the news that the PNL districts has over 100 openings they can't fill at the moment, but sure, it's because people are afraid of getting covid at work.

I do like how some companies are being forced into raising wages, I think continue to see that some industries can actually afford to pay $15/hr and not have a major negative impact that's passed onto the consumer. Grocery and Fast Food specifically.
Wow you really showed me! Your nameless degree is definitely better than someone who studied economics and became the Secretary of Treasury. It’s such a worthless degree they only make double the annual average. Obviously your illustrious experiences could never be touched by all of the academic research in the world.
No one could possibly be wary of getting sick in a country with some of the highest medical costs in the world in the middle of a pandemic.
I believe DColeKC studied under Dr. Dunning and Professor Kruger
Nah, I'm not pretending to be an economist or know more than one. I just love how a few of you are so quick to bash any opinion that disagrees with yours and quickly jump on the intelligence bashing. Do you honestly think that the high unemployment benefits aren't keeping people from working? I don't know if it's 50% or even 10%, but those who lean left and all liberal politicians seem to claim it has no impact. I just don't buy it. Even if that means I disagree with someone a thousand times more qualified on the topic.

I think a few of you studied under Dr. Van Yperen and Professor Buunk.

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm
mykn wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 pm
Riverite wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:01 pm


Wow you really showed me! Your nameless degree is definitely better than someone who studied economics and became the Secretary of Treasury. It’s such a worthless degree they only make double the annual average. Obviously your illustrious experiences could never be touched by all of the academic research in the world.
No one could possibly be wary of getting sick in a country with some of the highest medical costs in the world in the middle of a pandemic.
I believe DColeKC studied under Dr. Dunning and Professor Kruger
Nah, I'm not pretending to be an economist or know more than one. I just love how a few of you are so quick to bash any opinion that disagrees with yours and quickly jump on the intelligence bashing. Do you honestly think that the high unemployment benefits aren't keeping people from working? I don't know if it's 50% or even 10%, but those who lean left and all liberal politicians seem to claim it has no impact. I just don't buy it. Even if that means I disagree with someone a thousand times more qualified on the topic.

I think a few of you studied under Dr. Van Yperen and Professor Buunk.
Thank you for a perfect example

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm
mykn wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:55 pm

I believe DColeKC studied under Dr. Dunning and Professor Kruger
Nah, I'm not pretending to be an economist or know more than one. I just love how a few of you are so quick to bash any opinion that disagrees with yours and quickly jump on the intelligence bashing. Do you honestly think that the high unemployment benefits aren't keeping people from working? I don't know if it's 50% or even 10%, but those who lean left and all liberal politicians seem to claim it has no impact. I just don't buy it. Even if that means I disagree with someone a thousand times more qualified on the topic.

I think a few of you studied under Dr. Van Yperen and Professor Buunk.
Thank you for a perfect example
I knew I should kept you blocked. You never offer anything of substance do you? Just pop in with your insults from time to time. Fuckin worthless troll.

So, on the topic. Do you think the extra unemployment is keeping people out of the workforce because they simply don't want to work?

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:16 pm
mykn wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:40 pm
DColeKC wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:24 pm


Nah, I'm not pretending to be an economist or know more than one. I just love how a few of you are so quick to bash any opinion that disagrees with yours and quickly jump on the intelligence bashing. Do you honestly think that the high unemployment benefits aren't keeping people from working? I don't know if it's 50% or even 10%, but those who lean left and all liberal politicians seem to claim it has no impact. I just don't buy it. Even if that means I disagree with someone a thousand times more qualified on the topic.

I think a few of you studied under Dr. Van Yperen and Professor Buunk.
Thank you for a perfect example
I knew I should kept you blocked. You never offer anything of substance do you? Just pop in with your insults from time to time. Fuckin worthless troll.

So, on the topic. Do you think the extra unemployment is keeping people out of the workforce because they simply don't want to work?
Lol what a fuckin snowflake.

KCKev
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1443
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:23 pm
Location: Tucson Arizona
Contact:

Re: Politics

Post by KCKev »

You two need to get a room and stop wasting our time reading you shitfest.

User avatar
Anthony_Hugo98
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 429
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:50 pm
Location: Vicenza, IT

Re: Politics

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

KCKev wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm
You two need to get a room and stop wasting our time reading you shitfest.
You’re reading it? I’m mostly skimming and looking for exclamation points.
For all my military brothers and sisters out there, thanks for paving the way, ill do my best! AIRBORNE!

mykn
Supporter
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Politics

Post by mykn »

KCKev wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm
You two need to get a room and stop wasting our time reading you shitfest.
Would love to but I wouldn’t want to upset DColeKC’s delicate sensibilities.

longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 966
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:58 am
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Contact:

Re: Politics

Post by longviewmo »

It is kinda rich that the guy who “earns more than Janet Yellen at half her age” is lecturing about how the poor aren’t poor in the right way for him.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

longviewmo wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:30 am
It is kinda rich that the guy who “earns more than Janet Yellen at half her age” is lecturing about how the poor aren’t poor in the right way for him.
I used to be poor and I haven't forgot what that was like, just like I haven't forgot what being raised by a single mother was like. I'm not against raising the minimum wage or people getting unemployment. I've only said that there's a percentage of people currently on UI that simply are lazy and don't want to work. Politicians on the left refuse to admit this, probably because they don't want to upset their voter base and because they claimed this last round of stimulus wouldn't have a negative impact on the workforce. They were wrong, just like they were wrong about it not impacting inflation.

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mykn wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 8:39 pm
KCKev wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm
You two need to get a room and stop wasting our time reading you shitfest.
Would love to but I wouldn’t want to upset DColeKC’s delicate sensibilities.
You would love to get a room with me? What's your favorite downtown hotel and do you like wine sweetheart?

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2119
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Politics

Post by TheLastGentleman »

DColeKC wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 1:30 pm
I've only said that there's a percentage of people currently on UI that simply are lazy and don't want to work
What is that percentage?

mean
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 11039
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:00 am
Location: Historic Northeast

Re: Politics

Post by mean »

He doesn't know, he said he doesn't know. The point isn't to establish that this is a significant problem, because the experts are pretty clear that it probably isn't. I'm not really sure what the point is. Resentment about the likely small percentage of people not going to work because they make more on UI is in there, but more than anything I think the point is to question "experts" because they don't "know stuff" the way he does. I mean, come on, it's Trumpian tactics writ small on an irrelevant internet forum.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6954
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Politics

Post by earthling »

Not surprising to see hard right support reducing benefits and hard left support above normal unemployment benefits. There are clearly some who are exploiting the benefits moreso than before COViD and there are clearly some who need it because of pandemic impacted job categories.

At this point, perhaps more selective approach to unemployment benefits makes more sense. And the reality is that those collecting unemployment in restaurant/leisure/hospitality industries need to seek other areas that are growing, such as warehouse jobs at least until dust settles. Many retail categories also returning. However there is a boost in pro services and some office jobs while still lower overall in all other categories so I lean a bit towards more than normal unemployment benefits as long as it's at this point more selective.

/moderate

User avatar
DColeKC
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1300
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:50 am

Re: Politics

Post by DColeKC »

mean wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 5:01 pm
He doesn't know, he said he doesn't know. The point isn't to establish that this is a significant problem, because the experts are pretty clear that it probably isn't. I'm not really sure what the point is. Resentment about the likely small percentage of people not going to work because they make more on UI is in there, but more than anything I think the point is to question "experts" because they don't "know stuff" the way he does. I mean, come on, it's Trumpian tactics writ small on an irrelevant internet forum.
I don’t claim to know more than the experts. They make their statements based off data, research and a bit of politics. How exactly do you find out what percentage of people are simply holding out because they don’t want to work? I’d assume you can find some hard data on lack of child care but I hardly think polls and questionnaires should act as scientific data when trying to find out why people refuse to return the work. Like I’ve said, you’re not going to find a bunch of idiots willing to check the, “just don’t want to work” box when, “I’m afraid of Covid” is an option that half the country will allow you to use despite access to vaccines.

I just find it odd that what the Democrats claim as reasons don’t match up with the people I’ve talked to. I’m not saying my experience should be held in higher regard than a research study, just explaining my situation and reality.

Post Reply