Freight House Building

Have a development question you want answered? Ask it here and you'll get your answer
User avatar
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 24051
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: The basement of a Ross Dress for Less
Contact:

Freight House Building

Post by KCMax »

I was wondering what the history of the Freighthouse Building was and how was it refurbished? All private developers? All public money? Public subsidies? When was it refurbished?

It also seems to me like its quite successful, an often overlooked charming little area in a magnificent building with some great tenants (not a fan of City Tavern, but I love Lidia's and Fiorella's is great). Is it considered pretty successful? I don't think I've ever been to any of those places where it hasn't been pretty full.

Has the pedestrian walkway helped at all? Can this building be better integrated with Crown Center to the south and the Crossroads to the north?

Thoughts on the Freight House?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag

zonk
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower
Posts: 1248
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:07 pm
Location: downtown

Re: Freight House Building

Post by zonk »

It's a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) project completed in early 2000's.  I think the developer is Dan Clothier out of Wichita...but not sure.

It's kind of funny everyone always bashes public incentives, but if you remember those warehouses prior to redevelopment, you'd understand that without incentives, the redevelopment wouldn't have happened.

kcdcchef
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair
Posts: 8804
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:48 pm
Location: pittsburgh, pennsylvania

Re: Freight House Building

Post by kcdcchef »

zonk wrote: It's a Tax Increment Financing (TIF) project completed in early 2000's.   I think the developer is Dan Clothier out of Wichita...but not sure.

It's kind of funny everyone always bashes public incentives, but if you remember those warehouses prior to redevelopment, you'd understand that without incentives, the redevelopment wouldn't have happened.
i remember watching flames like 40 feet high bellow from a part of the freighthouses as the chef of skies in 1995, we were all standing there watching it. and to think they redid it that well, wow.
MU FINISHED THE YEAR RANKED HIGHER IN HOOPS AND FOOTBALL THAN THE KAY U JAYDORKS. UP YOURS KAY U JAYDORK FANS!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:28 pm
Location: Lee's Summit, former Waldo/Plaza
Contact:

Re: Freight House Building

Post by Jess »

I was there tonight for my birthday (Fiorella's), thus marking the first time I've been there since I moved to Kansas City.  Neat building.  My hometown has a fairly historic freighthouse that was refurbished in the past couple of years and has housed a few decent restaurants.  I do know the local historical society got some historic preservation money to do the renovations, but they were pretty strictly monitored.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18948
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Freight House Building

Post by DaveKCMO »

if incentives were only used to restore historic structures we wouldn't be having much of a debate.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Posts: 3850
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:12 pm

Re: Freight House Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote: if incentives were only used to restore historic structures we wouldn't be having much of a debate.
We would (do) have a lot more parking lots, though.

langosta
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Freight House Building

Post by langosta »

Does anyone remember the hotel that was proposed alongside the freight house redevelopment? Renderings and other details would be appreciated.

The developer of the historic Freight House building, home of three upscale restaurants, wants to complete his original plan by building a 21-story hotel and garage nearby." The 120-year-old Freight House was renovated 10 years ago and is located at 101 W. 22nd Street in the Crossroads Arts District. Located in the building now is Lidia's Kansas City, Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue, and City Tavern. The proposed hotel would be built east of the Freight House and face the Main Street viaduct. The hotel would be 18 stories tall and have 200 hotel rooms.
https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... ry%3A63972
Last edited by langosta on Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chris Stritzel
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Freight House Building

Post by Chris Stritzel »

langosta wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am
Does anyone remember the hotel that was proposed alongside the freight house redevelopment? Renderings and other details would be appreciated.

The developer of the historic Freight House building, home of three upscale restaurants, wants to complete his original plan by building a 21-story hotel and garage nearby." The 120-year-old Freight House was renovated 10 years ago and is located at 101 W. 22nd Street in the Crossroads Arts District. Located in the building now is Lidia's Kansas City, Fiorella's Jack Stack Barbecue, and City Tavern. The proposed hotel would be built east of the Freight House and face the Main Street viaduct. The hotel would be 18 stories tall and have 200 hotel rooms.
https://kchistory.org/islandora/object/ ... ry%3A63972
Sounds pretty similar to the modern day “Podium” project, which also includes a hotel component but with offices as well.

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18948
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Freight House Building

Post by DaveKCMO »

The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.

langosta
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Freight House Building

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm
The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.
Were renderings ever put out for the 21 floor proposal from 2007?

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18948
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Freight House Building

Post by DaveKCMO »

langosta wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm
The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.
Were renderings ever put out for the 21 floor proposal from 2007?
The only thing I could find in my email was this:
COMMUNITY MEETING ABOUT NEW 18 STORY HOTEL PROPOSAL AT 21st AND MAIN

When: Wed., Sept. 26th, 5:00 PM
Where: City Tavern in the Freight House at 101 W. 22nd Street

The Infrastructure Committee of the Crossroads Community Association is convening a community meeting to learn about a substantial new development proposal. Lidia's Freight House LLC is proposing to build an 18 story hotel on the west side of the Main Street viaduct next to Lidia's. Dan Clothier will be speaking about this project which will be going to the City Plan Commission for rezoning approval and to the TIF Commission for incentives.
You might try checking CPC or TIF records from around then.

Google found this:

https://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR200 ... eight.html

langosta
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 446
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 4:02 am

Re: Freight House Building

Post by langosta »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:05 am
langosta wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:49 pm
DaveKCMO wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm
The podium is on the opposite (east) side of the Main Street viaduct from the (west) Freight House hotel proposal -- which is dead, as far as I know, since the parking lot became a condominium association split between the three restaurants.
Were renderings ever put out for the 21 floor proposal from 2007?
The only thing I could find in my email was this:
COMMUNITY MEETING ABOUT NEW 18 STORY HOTEL PROPOSAL AT 21st AND MAIN

When: Wed., Sept. 26th, 5:00 PM
Where: City Tavern in the Freight House at 101 W. 22nd Street

The Infrastructure Committee of the Crossroads Community Association is convening a community meeting to learn about a substantial new development proposal. Lidia's Freight House LLC is proposing to build an 18 story hotel on the west side of the Main Street viaduct next to Lidia's. Dan Clothier will be speaking about this project which will be going to the City Plan Commission for rezoning approval and to the TIF Commission for incentives.
You might try checking CPC or TIF records from around then.

Google found this:

https://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR200 ... eight.html
Thanks for sharing these! Sounds like forming the Freight House condominium was a part of the hotel project. Hopefully someone can back in and get this built one day

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18948
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Freight House Building

Post by DaveKCMO »

New construction there is certainly more viable now than in 2007. As for it being a hotel, not so much.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5590
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: Freight House Building

Post by normalthings »


shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6759
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Freight House Building

Post by shinatoo »

I just don't get how Lydia's is still in business. I've probably eaten there a dozen times over 20 years and never had good service or a great meal. A few good ones. Mostly just not good at all. Is it just living on it's name?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18948
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Freight House Building

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm
I just don't get how Lydia's is still in business. I've probably eaten there a dozen times over 20 years and never had good service or a great meal. A few good ones. Mostly just not good at all. Is it just living on it's name?
Yes, and the pasta trio.

User avatar
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9426
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:40 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Freight House Building

Post by Highlander »

shinatoo wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm
I just don't get how Lydia's is still in business. I've probably eaten there a dozen times over 20 years and never had good service or a great meal. A few good ones. Mostly just not good at all. Is it just living on it's name?
It must get a lot of tourist traffic as well. I have a foodie friend who has never been to KC but he wants to make the trip to check out the food scene with Lidia's being tops on the list. She's a pretty well known chef and that creates a vibe about the place. My meals there have always been a little underwhelming. Not bad but not memorable experiences.

shinatoo
Ambassador
Posts: 6759
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: Freight House Building

Post by shinatoo »

Highlander wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:10 pm
shinatoo wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 pm
I just don't get how Lydia's is still in business. I've probably eaten there a dozen times over 20 years and never had good service or a great meal. A few good ones. Mostly just not good at all. Is it just living on it's name?
It must get a lot of tourist traffic as well. I have a foodie friend who has never been to KC but he wants to make the trip to check out the food scene with Lidia's being tops on the list. She's a pretty well known chef and that creates a vibe about the place. My meals there have always been a little underwhelming. Not bad but not memorable experiences.
I guess the thing that gets me is that Lydia's son is supposed to be this super expert in restaurant management and experience and that's the worst thing about the place. Better local places abound.

That strip has the best BBQ restaurant in KC, plus my favorite restaurant overall. So what Italian would you put in instead of Lydias?

I just don't eat much Italian anymore.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

User avatar
DaveKCMO
Ambassador
Posts: 18948
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: Crossroads
Contact:

Re: Freight House Building

Post by DaveKCMO »

While an interesting thought experiment, the Freight House is now a condominium. Lidia's owns their part of the building and a share of the parking lot. Lidia's is the only entity that could decide to leave/close and sell/lease to another restaurant.

But since you asked, I'd like to see Ragazza in that space. It nicely matches the other two -- upscale-but-not-chef-driven.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5501
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: Freight House Building

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:08 am
But since you asked, I'd like to see Ragazza in that space. It nicely matches the other two -- upscale-but-not-chef-driven.
It must be personal preference but I found Ragazza really underwhelming. The new built out space didn't have much character and while it was not crowded at all, it was super loud. No bar scene that I saw. The food was really basic too. But, it was covid times so maybe I need to try again.

Post Reply