World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

If we get the World Cup games, I wonder how many developers try to rush and get hotels that they had planned done by summer 2026 for their grand-openings.

User avatar
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall
Posts: 15817
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm
Location: Old Northeast -- Indian Mound

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by FangKC »

FEMA RV village. :lol:

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower
Posts: 9638
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by flyingember »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:38 am
If we get the World Cup games, I wonder how many developers try to rush and get hotels that they had planned done by summer 2026 for their grand-openings.
None. You don't build a hotel for a week of room sales.

An apartment building where rooms are temporarily sold as high end suites, that's entirely possible and has been mentioned already in this thread.

Providing the head of whatever from wherever a 1BR with a full living room (office and lounge setup), full stocked kitchen for the length of their stay in KC. Then after remove the rented furniture, deep clean and rent to the public. Could make several months of profit up front.

There's been stories out of NYC for years where apartments were turned into Air BnB rentals because it was more profitable, so the model works.

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I’m saying like if a developer already had a hotel in the middle of being built, if they’d try to speed it up to finish it before the World Cup

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5503
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by beautyfromashes »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 pm
I’m saying like if a developer already had a hotel in the middle of being built, if they’d try to speed it up to finish it before the World Cup
Like Cordish starts 4 Light as a joint hotel/condo build and makes sure to open right before the WC as a full hotel before selling units?

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:34 pm
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:24 pm
I’m saying like if a developer already had a hotel in the middle of being built, if they’d try to speed it up to finish it before the World Cup
Like Cordish starts 4 Light as a joint hotel/condo build and makes sure to open right before the WC as a full hotel before selling units?
Yes. Nothing will matter more than presenting 4 Light to the World!

WoodDraw
Penntower
Penntower
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:53 pm

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by WoodDraw »

I could see the embassy suites going ahead, maybe the five star if they can figure out financing.

I’m not super familiar with the plaza but the intercontinental could use a bit of work that the draft and World Cup would encourage. I don’t know the Raphael.

You could see a couple flags come in that aren’t here but I’m not familiar enough to predict,

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5595
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by normalthings »

Business Journal interviewed Cliff Illig about WC 2026. Hotels and public transportation are our low spots. New airport and a downtown highway cap could help our case. Chiefs are 100% on board to renovating the stadium to FIFA standards.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14990
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:34 am
Business Journal interviewed Cliff Illig about WC 2026. Hotels and public transportation are our low spots. New airport and a downtown highway cap could help our case. Chiefs are 100% on board to renovating the stadium to FIFA standards.
Honest question. They are only going to choose a couple non coastal cities. Why would they Choose KC over Denver and Nashville? It would be awesome, but I don't see it happening.

The only real thing KC has going for it is the soccer infrastructure which might be enough I don't know. But even that is spread all over hell away from the hotels that KC does have. Nashville and Denver are in a totally different league when it comes to hotels and the gap will only widen by 2026. And they both have stadiums close to their center cities. Denver has a very good transit system and Nashville has a stadium walkable to downtown and a commuter rail that can be utilized.

If KC really wanted to land this event, it should be getting ready to build a light rail line down I-70 by now that would open at least to the stadiums by 2026. It's needed regardless of the World Cup.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5595
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by normalthings »

GRID wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:50 am
normalthings wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:34 am
Business Journal interviewed Cliff Illig about WC 2026. Hotels and public transportation are our low spots. New airport and a downtown highway cap could help our case. Chiefs are 100% on board to renovating the stadium to FIFA standards.
Honest question. They are only going to choose a couple non coastal cities. Why would they Choose KC over Denver and Nashville? It would be awesome, but I don't see it happening.

The only real thing KC has going for it is the soccer infrastructure which might be enough I don't know. But even that is spread all over hell away from the hotels that KC does have. Nashville and Denver are in a totally different league when it comes to hotels and the gap will only widen by 2026. And they both have stadiums close to their center cities. Denver has a very good transit system and Nashville has a stadium walkable to downtown and a commuter rail that can be utilized.

If KC really wanted to land this event, it should be getting ready to build a light rail line down I-70 by now that would open at least to the stadiums by 2026. It's needed regardless of the World Cup.
IMHO Nashville beats us in every aspect minus weather,existing soccer infra, and maybe transit. Once you are in downtown Nashville, the stadium is walkable to hotels and entertainment venues like you said.

Nashville has Tons of new hotels including multiple 5 star brands. They may even have their Cordish stadium entertainment district up and running by 2026. Their airport is being upgraded too but nicer and bigger than what we are getting


Nashville has been running circles around us

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Actually the main reason Nashville won’t get games is because of its proximity to Atlanta, a city that is a lock for getting games. Along with the various other reasons mentioned, this is the core reason it would take a miracle to get games.

Denver is much tougher to beat. Although, it’s possible that with 11 teams now both KC & Denver would make the cut. But what KC has on Denver is
1). FIFA has been very skeptical of playing in high altitudes. They don’t like it for their players
2.) KC has a significantly better soccer culture and attendance. Denver MLS has some of the most lagging attendance while KC is at the top
3.) If you don’t give KC games, you shut the whole midwest out. Not sure that’s worth it for FIFA.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14990
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by GRID »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:59 am
GRID wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:50 am
normalthings wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:34 am
Business Journal interviewed Cliff Illig about WC 2026. Hotels and public transportation are our low spots. New airport and a downtown highway cap could help our case. Chiefs are 100% on board to renovating the stadium to FIFA standards.
Honest question. They are only going to choose a couple non coastal cities. Why would they Choose KC over Denver and Nashville? It would be awesome, but I don't see it happening.

The only real thing KC has going for it is the soccer infrastructure which might be enough I don't know. But even that is spread all over hell away from the hotels that KC does have. Nashville and Denver are in a totally different league when it comes to hotels and the gap will only widen by 2026. And they both have stadiums close to their center cities. Denver has a very good transit system and Nashville has a stadium walkable to downtown and a commuter rail that can be utilized.

If KC really wanted to land this event, it should be getting ready to build a light rail line down I-70 by now that would open at least to the stadiums by 2026. It's needed regardless of the World Cup.
IMHO Nashville beats us in every aspect minus weather,existing soccer infra, and maybe transit. Once you are in downtown Nashville, the stadium is walkable to hotels and entertainment venues like you said.

Nashville has Tons of new hotels including multiple 5 star brands. They may even have their Cordish stadium entertainment district up and running by 2026. Their airport is being upgraded too but nicer and bigger than what we are getting
Nashville doesn't need transit. Like you said, they have a very good and growing selection of top flag hotels downtown within walking distance. They have also a ton of new residential towers that could be used for airbnbs etc in the same area and will have many more by 2026. Their airport is already much busier than KCI and the upgrades are taking it to yet another level. KCI will be 1000 times better than it was as far as being a real airport, but it won't compare to Nashville, let alone Denver's airport. I'm not real familiar with how many hotels might be along the Nashville commuter line, but that could come into play as well.

KC is a great sports town and has embraced soccer. But I don't think KC stands much of a chance against Nashville or Denver or Houston as far as hosting an event like this. It just has not done enough to upgrade its infrastructure and downtown KC is still lacking corporations etc to support the construction of major hotels. KC would be bussing people all over hell, out Overland Park, out to KCK, out to the sports complex, up to KCI etc all that bus riding to mid range hotels.

Things would be very different if.

The soccer stadium and soccer training facilities was near downtown or at least near the TSC.

If the new KCI were built ten years ago giving KC a real shot at increasing flight options.

Cerner or somebody else had a major presence downtown and there were more hotels downtown along side them.

I-70 between downtown and the sports complex was rebuilt by now with light rail along it. (I-70 still looks like hell east of downtown. Has to be one of the oldest and least updated urban interstates in the country. And KC wants to drag international tourists up and down it for the world cup.)
Last edited by GRID on Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I just posted above, but Nashville isn’t getting games because they’re too close to a host city (Atlanta). That’s why they’re ranked like 15 or 16 on every list.

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14990
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by GRID »

AlkaliAxel wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:19 am
I just posted above, but Nashville isn’t getting games because they’re too close to a host city (Atlanta). That’s why they’re ranked like 15 or 16 on every list.
If KC is picked by default over much better options simply because of location. I still hope the city ups its game with infrastructure. Would be a great reason to push the city, county, state and tax payers to invest in something other than sprawl there.

There is still some time to do some amazing things before you hosted an event like that. The rebuilding and cleaning up the I-70 corridor between downtown and the stadiums (including decking 670) and making sure the vacant Adams Mark Hotel is not a deteriorating mess should be done at the very least.

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:29 am
AlkaliAxel wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:19 am
I just posted above, but Nashville isn’t getting games because they’re too close to a host city (Atlanta). That’s why they’re ranked like 15 or 16 on every list.
If KC is picked by default over much better options simply because of location. I still hope the city ups its game with infrastructure. Would be a great reason to push the city, county, state and tax payers to invest in something other than sprawl there.

There is still some time to do some amazing things before you hosted an event like that. The rebuilding and cleaning up the I-70 corridor between downtown and the stadiums (including decking 670) and making sure the vacant Adams Mark Hotel is not a deteriorating mess should be done at the very least.
I keep seeing it on the FIFA lists but aren’t we ahead of a few of these cities on hotels by FIFA standards?

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5595
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by normalthings »

Nashville can not increase the # of commuter rail trains per day without a tens or hundreds of millions of $$$ investment. KC has the opportunity to build a transitway down 70-Rock Island or 71-Linwood-Rock Island. I honestly think that second route makes a lot more sense.

User avatar
AlkaliAxel
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:58 pm
Location: Brookside

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by AlkaliAxel »

Random thought, but it might be we have to build the stuff downtown first to get the people to realize we need light rail, instead of the other way around.

User avatar
beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5503
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:04 am

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by beautyfromashes »

normalthings wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:13 pm
Nashville can not increase the # of commuter rail trains per day without a tens or hundreds of millions of $$$ investment. KC has the opportunity to build a transitway down 70-Rock Island or 71-Linwood-Rock Island. I honestly think that second route makes a lot more sense.
Connecting DT where? Union Station or River Market?

User avatar
GRID
City Center Square
City Center Square
Posts: 14990
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by GRID »

beautyfromashes wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:56 pm
normalthings wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:13 pm
Nashville can not increase the # of commuter rail trains per day without a tens or hundreds of millions of $$$ investment. KC has the opportunity to build a transitway down 70-Rock Island or 71-Linwood-Rock Island. I honestly think that second route makes a lot more sense.
Connecting DT where? Union Station or River Market?
Neither.

River Market would mean you are going to run the trains through all the industrials bottoms areas. Makes no sense. Would only move a few hundred commuters a day.

Union Station is landlocked with the KCT canyon. The railroads are never ever going to give that up and widening that trench from union station to the east side is not only cost prohibitive, but puts the trains in a area that won't spur TOD.

You don't need to go to Union Station or River Market anymore. The streetcar is there now to distribute light rail people throughout downtown.

If I had say a billion or two to spend. I would do this:

Rebuild I-70 including the south and east loop, straighten the curves, deck 670, deal with the east loop accordingly if a downtown baseball stadium is a serious discussion.

During that rebuild, incorporate light rail into part of I-70. Build Light Rail down Truman Road From at least Walnut Street parallel to the newly built 70. Truman is plenty wide enough to build a dedicated right of way for center running light rail east of downtown (downtown the eastbound and westbound trains could be split on both sides of Truman or put all traffic on one and all trains on the other side.)

Then where Truman and I-70 meet, merge the light rail into the I-70 new straitened right of way to the stadiums with a new bridge over the blue river where I-70 has already been rebuilt. Pick up the Rock Island right of way at the stadiums from that point on to Lee's Summit. A future light rail line can be built from the stadium parking lots to Blue Springs along I-70 or US-40.

Truman Road east of downtown would see a massive urban revival and new construction.

Build more streetcar lines out of downtown such as one to serve the east side of downtown down Troost (which would hit the vine distirct) and one on Broadway, SW BLV to Westport, KU Med etc and to NKC.

Build an extensive park and ride commuter bus network along I-70, I-35, I-29 etc in both MO and KS.

Downtown baseball stadium now works. A good portion of people can even still park at the TSC (future massive park and ride) for downtown baseball games. And KC will be one huge step closer to being able to handle major events like the world cup.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5595
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by normalthings »

Purple Line Light Rail. Extension Opportunities to downtown KCK and Village West or Raytown and Lee's Summit via the Rock Island.

i70 LRT does not have the excess existing capacity for rail or even bus. Such is discussed in Jackson County Commuter Corridors. That would be a mega project just to expand let alone add rail to. I70 also does not have good station or TOD opportunities like my proposed route does.



Area Map

Image


Station at TSC
Image

some sort of flyovers are required to bring the LRT from 71 up to Linwood/31st. Could also do a tunnel down Linwood
Image

Either on graded or flyover off 71 into downtown. Could go in East Village (KCATA Hub) or down by City Hall.

Image

Post Reply