Austin

Want to talk about your favorite places besides Kansas City? Post any development news or questions about other cities here.
Anthony_Hugo98
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Austin

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Was doing Uber eats in Austin yesterday (as I’m stationed in Ft. Hood now, so only an hour drive and pays far better) and since I’ve gotten here even 4 months ago, the homeless problem here is spiraling out of control. I had two separate interactions where I was on 6th street, and not only did pan handlers come directly up to my window, they tried my door handle. Two separate people, on two separate parts of 6th street did this. This is supposed to be THE place to be in Austin, so I can’t imagine this is the publicity and experience that city officials want tourists to experience. People always talked this city up to be this “out of this world” experience, but so far, I’ve been underwhelmed with this city.
For all my military brothers and sisters out there, thanks for paving the way, ill do my best! AIRBORNE!

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

I generally liked Austin 20+ years ago when my sister lived there and younger brother when to UT, fun college town. Has simply been growing too fast last 15+ years and has grown past a big college town but feels fabricated now. She ended up moving to KC for the 4 seasons and more mature arts scene. Cities that grow too fast tend to lose more in depth than they gain on the surface.

normalthings
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by normalthings »

66 floor, 800+ foot tower in Austin. JE Dunn is constructing. Massive garage podium

Anthony_Hugo98
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

normalthings wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:02 pm
66 floor, 800+ foot tower in Austin. JE Dunn is constructing. Massive garage podium

Everything they’ve put up down here is a Parking podium, and it looks terrible, sure they have height, but what’s height with standstill traffic and 8 floors of parking?
Last edited by Anthony_Hugo98 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For all my military brothers and sisters out there, thanks for paving the way, ill do my best! AIRBORNE!

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Height isn't everything. I'd rather have a functioning street-level city. Give me three 22-story towers instead of a 66-story one, or six 11-story towers. Ones that are integrated into the street grid and street level of the existing fabric of the city.

Look at Renaissance Center in Detroit. Sure it's an impressive tall structure, but it doesn't function well in the greater downtown Detroit. It would have helped the city more to have added the same square footage but in more, smaller buildings spread around on vacant lots in the existing downtown grid.

earthling
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by earthling »

Portland is a good example of high functioning at street level without a lot of taller buildings.